Gonorrhea is a sexually transmitted infection that affects men and women who are sexually active. This disease is common in young men and women of age between 15-26 years.
Gonorrhea can infect your throat, rectum, and genitals, and the infection can spread by oral sex, anal sex, and vaginal sex.
Gonorrhea is a bacterial infection that could spread to your genitals. It can infect women in their cervix and men in their urethra.
In Gonorrhea, it is highly unlikely to find any symptoms of an infection; this is especially true for women.
A pregnant woman with a sexually transmitted disease can give the condition to the baby.
Does Gonorrhea go away on its own?
Antibiotic treatment is a necessity to cure Gonorrhea. In other words, if you are diagnosed with it, you should get proper treatment immediately.
If Gonorrhea is left untreated, it could affect the reproductive ability of women. Also, the condition could lead to Pelvic Inflammatory disease, PID.
What exactly causes Gonorrhea?
Gonorrhea can be caused by several reasons, all that are common causes of other Sexually transmitted diseases. The causes of Gonorrhea include:
- Having sexual intercourse without protection like a condom
- Engaging in sexual contact with a person infected with Gonorrhea
- Having sexual relations with multiple partners
- Suffering from any one of the STDs higher the risk of Gonorrhea
Symptoms of Gonorrhea you should never ignore
Usually, it is hard to tell if you are suffering from STD or not, given that many people affected by the condition do not show any symptoms.
This asymptomatic nature of Gonorrhea is the leading reason for the spread of STDs. However, there are a few symptoms of Gonorrhea you should notice at once, that are:
- Vaginal discharge
- Penile discharge
- Pain urinating
- Burning sensation when urinating
- Itching and pain in the urethra for men
- Pain in lower abdomen for women
- Testicular pain for men
Here’s how you can prevent Gonorrhea
You can follow a healthy and hygienic sexual life to prevent Gonorrhea and any other sexually transmitted disease. The best ways to avoid Gonorrhea are:
- Use protection like a condom when having sexual intercourse
- Try not to have skin-to-skin contact with a person infected with STD
- Avoid having sexual contact with more than one person
- Run some tests for STD, if you are a sexually active person
Treatment for Gonorrhea
Gonorrhea is a curable condition. You can treat this sexually transmitted disease with antibiotic medication.
If you suffer from any of the symptoms of Gonorrhea, take a test for STD and, if diagnosed positively, follow the treatment properly to cure the disease.